Sunday, August 3, 2008

Saturday HONK Performance

The HONK performance was a huge success and as usual, I enjoyed my stint, which was from 6:00 until 10:00 pm. HONK performed from 8:00 until 10:00 pm. I think there were more than a 1000 people and everybody seemed to be having a really good time. I was surprised that a lot of people came prepared with chairs and sweaters. Although, as it turned out, it was a perfect OC summer evening.

I loved each and every one of my tasks for the evening which included duty shift at the performance stage, sound booth, floating, phones, hangar cafe. Being in teams was fabulous; I was with Krissy, Monica, and Setiam, during different times in the evening. Krissy and I also took the opportunity, before our duties officially began at 7:00 pm, to wander around and familiarize ourselves with the restaurant menu, location of restrooms, take pictures, etc. My first task of the evening was to monitor the performance area and also invite visitors to enter the raffle, complete the Great park survey, etc. I enrolled a number of people in the raffle and was also successful in getting quite a few surveys completed. One gentleman did not want to complete the survey at first. While his wife was filling one out, he changed his mind. He asked me his survey question too: Why are we not sitting on the Park greens to listen to the concert? Why were we sitting on the tarmac? I just smiled :)

Having floaters and formal switches at the end of duty shifts (when the Ambassador who took our spot explicitly relieved us) worked perfectly. Floaters survey the public, talk to the visitors, and basically just do whatever is needed. Visitors quickly caught on too - many would come up to the Ambassadors, who were easily identified, in blue golf shirts with the night flights logo and ask us questions. Some were return visitors delighted to see a familiar face and sometimes, with more questions. So if I was busy with another visitor, because of the teams and floater structure, I was able to introduce the return visitors to my team or floater ambassador, etc. Clearly a great deal of thought had gone into today's planning for the Ambassador program; Melissa, Anabel, Karena, Laura, Marsha, Sheila, Setiam were all around and working very hard too. In the end, we had a quick debriefing (there was not much to report) before we were officially dismissed and left the site shortly after 10:00 pm.

No comments: