Thursday, July 31, 2008

Docent Duty - Park/Balloon Visitor's Center

Four ambassadors - Monica, Krissy, Debra and myself - started docent duty today at the Great Park Balloon Visitor's Center. Our shift was from 10 am - 3 pm. With the exception of Krissy, the rest of us also have evening/night Balloon site duty from 7:00 - 10 pm. Ok, so what did I do today? In the morning, for awhile, Monica and I were inside the visitor's center shadowing/helping Mandy and Jeff, the balloon staff, with visitor registration. We were advised to let the Balloon staff handle registrations and help out only when there were lines/crowds inside the Visitor Center. We were encouraged to go outside and talk to visitors. So, after some time, we moved outside and tried to engage the visitors. We also started to ask visitors to complete the Great Park surveys. I took a break during the lunch hour, ran some errands, and picked up Knottsberry Farm cookies which I brought for the staff and ambassadors. In the afternoon, I worked outside, talking to visitors, answering questions, handing out and collecting the Great Park surveys. Matt was the pilot today and I went up in the balloon twice. The balloon was on wind hold quite a few times. There seemed to be a constant stream or trickle of visitors although few seemed inclined to loiter in the park. Most, it seemed to me, came for the balloon ride and left, without even looking at the educational panels in the shade structures or taking a break on the lawns. The balloon staff shared that thursdays are light with saturdays and sundays being the really crowded days.

No comments: